Tuesday 20 July 2010

Cool Tool # 8 - Pearl Trees

IRISS - Sharing Resources

Posted by Andy

It's been a few months since I posted a 'cool tool' and this one certainly falls under the cool logo, although how effective it is as a tool I can't decide - regardless of that, please don't be put off.
Pearl Trees are a way of creating multi-level visual book marks of your interests or resources. Each pearl tree has pearls hanging from it, so it's basically a replacement for your folders and favourites.

The pearl trees are very easy to make and within a matter of minutes you can have a large number of pearls hanging from various trees, especially if you install their tidy little toolbar extension.
On the downside, sharing and navigating can be a little unwieldy, although I'm sure that they will iron this out, then again it is a little pout of most comfort areas, so maybe we need to be patient with such new tools.

I've embedded a pearl tree I've made for our IRISS project in the library, to support students. I'd suggest you have a look at the embedded image, but perhaps you have a look at the pearl tree on a larger screen by following the Web address below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

First of all, I wanted to thank you for your blog post about Pearltrees. I just read it, and we are very proud to be a 'cool tool' ;)

Yet, you explained that some areas were missing comfort. Could you please give me more a little more details about that? That would help us a lot to 'iron this out' :)

Thank you very much!

Antoine